Monday, July 26, 2010

And Then That Happened

I stood in front of that tall, imposing hotel building, three large sacks of food in one hand, my suitcase in the other.
“Can I take your bags, sir?”
This guy.
“Sir?”
Why is he calling me sir?
“Yes?”
“Can I take your bags, sir?” he said with fake excitement.
“No, please just leave me here with three heavy bags and a suitcase filled with unknown materials” I thought facetiously. I handed him my bags and followed him out of the dirty, oily parking lot and to the hotel gate, where I saw him walk through an odd rotating door, and I believe he expected me to walk through with him. I stood at least three steps away from that contraption but I knew eventually I would have to enter through that odd portal in order to enter the hotel so I closed my eyes and hoped my next leap would be the one home. I opened my eyes when a glass door slapped against my back and realized that this strange piece of machinery was moving by itself and regardless of where I was, it was moving, regardless of my own pace. I was hypnotized by this piece engineering and must have completed near six rotations before the bellhop I was following pulled me out angrily and pointed in the direction of a nearby black plastic staircase with a passion I’ve never seen anyone point at in the past.
After dizzily stumbling onto those seemingly normal, albeit strangely colored stairs, they began moving me upward. I stood on the stair-like platform until it dropped me off onto the second floor where I saw the bellhop pressing a button to call the elevator down to the second floor and I attempted to follow him but after I attempted to take my first step I almost immediately fell on my face. It was at this point I realized that my shoelace was being attacked by that strange moving platform. The bellboy viciously slammed on the button to the point of near breaking.
“No man left behind” I thought.
I attempted to drag my shoe away from that shoe-eating monster that carried me here, but unsurprisingly, it pulled back. I heard a ding and the elevator stopped on the second floor, forcing me to abandon my poor, young, left shoe to be devoured by that machine. I slipped my shoe off and escaped that stair-contraption; hopped over the dirty floor on one foot and grabbed the edge of the door to keep it from closing and leaving me behind.
“Hey buddy, you sure are slow.” The bellboy snorted. I sighed, I didn’t like that bellboy calling me buddy.
“Which floor ya’ goin’ to, buddy?” I looked at my hand and saw a blurry number that could’ve either read 669 or 1669.
“Errrr… Either the sixteenth or the sixth” He snorted and pressed two buttons and we waited through the rest of that unpleasant elevator ride in relative silence (excluding the bellboy’s grotesque snorts and the elevator’s obnoxious dings).
When we escaped that tiny, claustrophobic, moving room we stepped onto the sixth floor and for a moment I was blinded by sterile, white, judgmental lights that were so common that the room lacked shadows. I held my hand above my eyes so I could see where room sixty-nine was and immediately saw the bellboy standing halfway across the room, twiddling his thumbs and waiting for me, I quickly ran as fast as a man with one shoe could run (not very fast) and soon reached my room.
“Where’s you’re card, bucko” He asked.
I rummaged through my pockets for a bit and handed it to the bellboy who snatched it from my hand and slid it through the reader several times.
The bellboy turned around and said in a level of solemnity uncharacteristic for his attitude and said
“This is the wrong room, buddy” he said as he began to walk back to the elevator and I attempted to keep up with his stride.
When we reached the elevator, a plain white sign proudly disclaimed “out of order”.
“This is ridiculous!” The bellboy yelled, back to his former, loud, obnoxious self.
He began to run to the nearby stairs and I struggled even further keeping up, I was going to lose my bags, he was going to leave me on the sixth floor with no bags and a mysteriously broken elevator, I hopped faster and yelled that he needed to slow down, but he began running even faster. I attempted to throw his dust out of my mouth as he began dashing up the stairs.
“I’m taking this out of his tip” I thought as I hopped up dirty, garbage-laden stairs. I tried to think of the bright side when I realized “At least they’re not monsters”.
I only began to realize how far behind I was around the eleventh floor staircase when I stopped hearing the unnaturally fast bellboy’s snorting. And then around the thirteenth floor I stopped hearing his footsteps. And then finally on the fourteenth floor I heard an unnaturally loud snort and a door slam. It was another sixty-five steps until I reached the sixteenth floor and saw the bellboy waiting outside the stairs tapping his foot and looking very annoyed. He was standing in fronting of a door marked 69 and held his hand out expecting a tip. I handed him a quarter or so, he threw the change on the floor and ran away. I sighed and walked into my room and jumped into the bed and finally relaxed.
Then the fire alarm went off.

No comments:

Post a Comment